Bellevue is the historic home of Benjamin Harvey Hill, built from 1853-1855. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1973. Bellevue is a significant example of the Greek Revival style at the height of antebellum Southern affluence.
Backstory and Context
Benjamin Harvey Hill was a U.S. Representative, U.S. senator, and a Confederate senator. Senator Hill's LaGrange home, Bellevue, was built in 1854-55 in the Greek Revival plantation style. The Fuller E. Callaway Foundation acquired the home and donated to the LaGrange Woman's Club in 1942. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1972 and designated as a National Historic Landmark on November 7, 1973. The house continues to be supported by the LaGrange Woman's Club, tours and events under the care and supervision of the LaGrange Woman's Club Charitable Trust and Trustee.
According to the National Register Nomination Form, “the grounds of Bellevue originally covered 1200 acres and were enclosed by a stone wall and massive gates, replicas of gates at the White House.” The grounds are no longer cover the same expanse; Bellevue sits on a slight rise surrounded by homes.
Bellevue is one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the state. The home is furnished in the style of the 1850s.