Calhoun Mine Historical Marker
This site was one of the first places where gold was discovered in Georgia in 1828. The discovery led to the Georgia Gold Rush of 1829 and the forced removal of Native peoples. After several transactions, the mine was eventually owned by Senator John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, the 7th vice president of the United States. Calhoun established a mining company on the property that was still producing significant amounts of gold into 1856, nearly 30 years after it was discovered.
Backstory and Context
The Calhoun family sold the mine in 1879. It was eventually believed that the ore deposits were depleted until a small pocket was discovered in 1939. This pocket was mined, and the mine has remained quiet ever since. The mine was added to the National Register of Historical Places and named a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
The Calhoun Mine is known historically as a factor in the removal of the Cherokee tribe from their land. The mine was located adjacent to land the Cherokee inhabited. Many calls for their removal resulted from conflicts between the miners and the Cherokee.
2. Calhoun Gold Mine. Latitude 34 North. Accessed May 28, 2019. http://lat34north.com/HistoricMarkers/MarkerDetail.cfm?KeyID=093-1&MarkerTitle=Calhoun%20Gold%20Mine%20&CountyNameKey=Lumpkin.