This site commemorates a battle fought on July 28, 1864, between troops commanded by General Alfred Sully and Sioux Indians. Sully's 2,200 troops, with the aid of artillery batteries, scattered the encamped village reported to contain 6,000 warriors, with losses of 5 soldiers and perhaps 100-150 Indians.
A sandstone slab monument and flagpole mark part of the battlefield. An unpaved parking lot is separated from the site by a log barrier. The site is accessible year round.