Cathedral of Saint Paul
Backstory and Context
The current Cathedral of Saint Paul is actually the 4th church to be built with that name. The first was a small, log cabin built in the 1840s, while the 2nd and 3rd were built in the 1850s to accommodate the church’s growth. This cathedral was the dream of Archbishop John Ireland who needed a much larger cathedral to serve his ever-growing congregation. Ireland’s dream became reality when construction began in 1907. The cathedrals of France inspired the cathedral’s architecture. The church held its first liturgy on March 28, 1915 and was consecrated by Archbishop of William O. Brady.