The Grignon Mansion is a historic home situated next to the Fox River in Kaukana, Wisconsin. It was built in 1837 by Charles A. Grignon, a fur trader who moved to the location in 1830 when he acquired a trading post that had long been located on the spot. That particular location was a natural portage point for fur traders who made their way along the river. The Grignon family had been active fur traders for about a 100 years by 1830 and they were well known to the Native Americans in the area. Charles was the grandson of Menominee woman and he served as an interpreter at the Treaty of the Cedars, which resulted in the Menominee tribe ceding to the U.S. government the territory that is now northeast Wisconsin. Given the historical importance of the Grignon family in the state's history, the mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Today it operates as a museum
The Grignon Mansion
http://www.grignonmansion.org/History.html. Retrieved 7-20-15. Donald N. Anderson. "Grignon (Charles A.) House," 10-18-72. National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 7-20-15.