Barnard's Trading Post
Barnard's Trading Post Marker
Barnard's Trading Post, artist's concept
Sales receipt of Kelsey's Alternating Bee-Hives
The remains of Barnard's Trading Post as it is today
Backstory and Context
History of Barnard's Trading Post and the Birth of Waco
Although the Barnard Trading Post was only in operation for about 10 years, its historical value to the growth of early Waco was substantial. The post can be traced back to the founding of the Torrey Trading Houses in Houston in 1838.
In 1844, George Barnard, a 26-year-old native of Connecticut, and his brother moved to the area around Tehuacana Creek so that they could operate a new Torrey post being built there. This move to Tehuacana Creek marked the first arrival of white settlers in the Waco region.
Immediately after opening in 1844, the trading post developed a trustworthy and beneficial relationship with the local natives, and the supplies the
By 1849, five years after the post opened, George Erath and Jacob Cordova began plotting Waco Village, and in 1851, Barnard bought some land in Waco and moved his inventory in the young Village. Six years later, in 1857, Barnard then sold the rest of his business to Fox and Jacob’s, the first Jewish merchants in Waco.
The reasons as to why Barnard moved the business into
The last buildings of the trading post stood throughout the rest of the 19th century, but in 1929, they succumbed to fire.1