A National Historic Engineering Landmark, the Stone Arch Bridge features 23 arches and is made of native granite and limestone. The bridge spans 2,100 feet across the river below St. Anthony’s Falls and hosts a number of activities, including Segway tours, the Stone Arch Bridge Festival, and beautiful, scenic views of St. Anthony’s Falls. The bridge is the only one of its kind to span the Mississippi River.
Railroad baron James J. Hill built the bridge in 1883 to link the two sides of the Mississippi, thereby facilitating greater movement of people and goods. Trains used the bridge until 1965. Repair work began in 1980 and now only bikers and walkers use it.