This remarkable house was built in 1893 by Dr. John M. Evans, a local physician who was also involved in mining and real estate. Known for its onion dome roof and circular front porch, this Queen Anne Victorian structure is a rare find in Arizona as it is one of two buildings in the city (the other is the Rosson House) designed in this style. The property was restored in 1988 and is one of a precious few examples that remain of Phoenix's frontier days. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Today, the house is the location of the Arizona State Historic Preservation Office. It is not open to the public.
Backstory and Context
"Evans House." Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission. Accessed December 28, 2015. https://azredistricting.org/About-IRC/Evans-House.asp.
Garrison, James. "Evans House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. September 1, 1976. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/e7a1777b-79a8-40ad-90f8-a76103a5eeae.