Astor Fur Warehouse (Fur Trading Museum)
The Astor Fur Warehouse a historic stone building located on the banks of the Mississippi River in Prarie du Chien, Wisconsin. Built in 1828 by fur trader Jean Joseph Roulette of the American Fur Trade Company, it is a National Historic Landmark and has been incorporated into the nearby Villa Louis estate which is operated by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Today, it is a fur trading museum, featuring exhibits and artifacts that tell the history of fur trading in the Upper Mississippi River region. The building is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only fur trading warehouse remaining in the Upper Mississippi.
Backstory and Context