The Arkansas Governor’s Mansion has been home to Arkansas’s governors since 1950. Designed by Cromwell Architects of Little Rock, this 3 story, Georgian-Colonial style home sits on 8.5 acres with a brick walkway that connects the main house to the East and West wings. The home is complete with a formal living room, a state dining room, a library, a grand foyer, an atrium, a lower atrium, and a grand hall.
In 1944, the Arkansas Federation of Women’s Clubs began to campaign
for funds for a permanent residence for the state’s governor. Their first legislative attempt failed, but
in 1947, their second was successful in getting a Governor’s Mansion Commission
of $100,000. Construction began in 1947
and officially opened on January 10, 1950 with a well long public open house.
Photo courtesy of Arkansas Governor’s Mansion (http://www.arkansasgovernorsmansion.com/tours.html)