Clio Logo
The Laurel Historical Society is dedicated to preserving the history of Laurel, Delaware for present and future generations. Founded in 1977, the society own two properties and operates a museum in the former Laurel Train station; the building also houses the town's Chamber of Commerce. The society's offices are located in the Cook House, which also houses photographs and artifacts. The other property, the Studley House, was built in the 1830s and expanded in the 1850s. It is still undergoing renovation and as such is not open to the public. The museum contains documents and historical artifacts owned by the society as well as the Division of Cultural Affairs. It also houses the Waller Photographic Collection, which the Delaware Public Archives and the University of Delaware have declared a premiere historical collection.

  • The Cook House was built circa 1900 and was donated to the society by Haroldine Cook Shaner.
  • The Studley House, currently undergoing restoration.
  • The Old Laurel Train Station.
The society was founded in 1977 on the heels of the nation's Bicentennial Celebration a year earlier. The celebration galvanized many in the community (and around the country) to form an organization to preserve the history and culture of Laurel. Over the years, the number of members has increased from 60 to 200 people. Retrieved 7-13-15.