White’s Mill was established in 1816 by Captain Silas Bingman. In 1840, the mill was purchased by Joseph Herrold, who operated the mill with his sons. The mill was sold to Ed White in 1911. When a fire destroyed the mill in 1912, Ed White reconstructed a new mill to take its place at the same location. White’s Mill was completed in 1915. Today, the site operates as a nursery and feed store.
Captain Silas Bingman established White’s Mill in 1816. The mill was built with a large cut of sandstone foundation. A 10-foot wooden dam was then constructed by Bingham. This dam supplied water to the wooden waterwheel.
In 1840, Joseph Herrold purchased the mill. Herrold, along with his sons, operated the will into the early 1900s. From 1884-1885 Herrold’s son Henry worked on rebuilding the dam that had been destroyed in a flood. The wooden waterwheel was replaced by turbines in 1895.
The mill was bought by Ed White in 1911. White spent $3,600 to install new milling equipment. The mill reached its peak during the fall of 1912. There were 4,000 bushels of grain as well as 100 barrels of flour in the mill's storage area. Unfortunately, on October 2, 1912, a fire destroyed the whole complex. All that was left was the sandstone foundation Captain Bingman laid in 1816.
The fire did not stop Ed White. He bought the old Nathan Vale flour mill, dismantled it, and then reconstructed it at his location along the Hocking River. The new mill was completed in 1915. White’s sons Gamaliel and Erskine took over the mill in 1936 and it has since remained in the family. White’s Mill now serves as a nursery and feed store.