Masur Museum of Art
The Masur Museum of Art is located in Monroe, Louisiana on Grand Street along the banks of the Ouachita River. Designed in the Modified Tudor style, it was built in 1929 by lumberman Clarence Slagle as a private home. Today, it is the largest visual arts museum in northeast Louisiana. Its mission is to support the arts through exhibitions, educational programs which include summer camps, lectures, films, art classes, workshops, and demonstrations. Its permanent collection consists of 493 works of art by famous arts such as Salvador Dali and Auguste Rodin. The building itself is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Masur Museum of Art
Backstory and Context
The Great Depression forced Clarence Slagle to sell the home in the early 1930s. It was bought by Sigmund and Beatrice Masur who lived there with their children until 1963 when the family donated the building to the city on the condition that it would become an art museum. The museum opened in 1964.
"About Us," http://masurmuseum.org/about.php. Retrieved 7-7-15.