Chickahominy House-Monroe, Ohio
Backstory and Context
The Chickahominy House Museum can be found at 10 E. Elm St, next door to our 1910 building (another of the three museums in Monroe). Monroe families generously donated antiques and the result is beautiful and accurate to the time period. Several families donated family photo albums depicting people who lived in this timeframe in the area. The main level encompasses eight rooms. The upstairs consists of three rooms including a research room to study genealogy. The floors are solid cherry. The basement is currently used for storage for some of our larger items, such as buggies, plows, etc.
Monroe, Ohio has three museums one of which is the Chickahominy House. The house is wholly owned by the Monroe Historical Society. The groundbreaking ceremony was in March of 2000. The land was donated by a man named Jim Price. The General Electric Company also contributed almost $20,000. The town of Monroe sold commemorative bricks to raise over $150,000.00 to maintain and enhance the museum. The exhibits are frequently updated.