Clio Logo

A former hotel, the Dew House is a historical landmark in Nelsonville, Ohio. The house was constructed in 1830 by Thomas Dew, who migrated to the area from Maryland in 1819. It was originally a two-story brick structure that was later expanded.


  • The Dew House is a historical landmark in Nelsonville, Ohio. It was constructed in 1830 by Thomas Dew. During the 1912 presidential campaign, Theodore Roosevelt gave a speech from the porch.
  • The Dew House Flood of 1907
  • The Dew House as it appears today
  • Looking stright on at Dew House

A former hotel, the Dew House is a historical landmark in Nelsonville, Ohio. The house was constructed in 1830 by Thomas Dew, who migrated to the area from Maryland in 1819. It was originally a two-story brick structure that was later expanded.

A tavern operated out of the basement and had steps leading from it to Columbus Street. The proprietors of the Dew Hotel in 1871 was an artist and photograph named Thomas Sansome Nutter and his wife Annettie Mitchell.

Senator James Dew obtained the hotel in 1876. Under know ownership, the hotel was expanded. A third story and porch were added. During Theodore Roosevelt’s presidential campaign in 1912, he spoke from the porch of the Dew House as did President William Howard Taft.

"The Dew House." Athens Metropolitan Housing Authority. Web. 4 July 2015. .

Image Sources(Click to expand)

https://littlecitiesarchive.org/2012/07/13/dew-house-in-flood-of-1907/

Photo taken by Audrey Tompkins, Shawnee Trailtown intern

Photo taken by Audrey Tompkins, Shawnee Trailtown intern