Hocking Valley Scenic Railway
Backstory and Context
The Hocking Valley Scenic Railway was founded in 1972. It is a non-profit, volunteer-operated organization. The organization is dedicated to educating and entertaining the general public by preserving, restoring and operating historic railroad equipment. Once a part of the Hocking Valley Railway’s Athens Branch, the route operates between Nelsonville and Logan.
The first railroad to cut through the Hocking Valley was founded as the Mineral Rail Road on April 14th, 1864 the name was later changed to the Columbus-Hocking Valley Railroad in 1867 with construction beginning the same year with the first freight train arriving from Nelsonville to Columbus on August, 17th 1869. It was said there was a cannon on board and the cannon was fired each time the train approached a town, warning residents of the train’s entrance to town. The CHVR would become the Hocking Valley Railroad in 1899. The HVR was the largest independent railroad and connected Toledo on Lake Erie to the towns of Gallipolis and Pomeroy on the banks of the Ohio. In 1930, the Hocking Valley merged into the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad.
The current route was purchased by the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway in 1985. Diesel-powered rides on vintage equipment are offered by the HVSR through the beautiful hills of southeastern Ohio.
The coaches used to transport passengers were built in 1927. They were used for commuter service around Chicago. In October 1952 the primary diesel locomotive was built. During the winter, the coaches are heated to make for a comfortable and enjoyable ride.
" Hocking Valley Scenic Railway." Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. Web. 3 July 2015. .