This historic building was completed in 1898 was home to the first African-American congregation formally organized in Bowling Green. The congregation predates the building by 40 years, having been established in 1858 as the First Colored Baptist Church. The congregation was formed when black members of the First Baptist Church in Bowling Green expressed a desire to form a church of their own that would operate autonomously from other white Baptist churches in the area.
In 1867, land was given to the church and plans for a permanent church building began right away. The church that stands today was completed in 1898 and the congregation later changed their name to State Street Baptist