Contentment House is a pre-Civil War structure that is owned and operated by the Fayette County Historical Society as a local history museum. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home's original structure dates back to the 1830s and the home was expanded to its current state in 1872 by then-owner George Imboden, a former Confederate officer who also served as the first mayor of the town of Ansted. Today, the home serves as a museum with period antiques and Civil War era décor.
Fayette County was named after the Revolutionary War hero, Marquis de Lafayette and is home to many historic landmarks including this structure which dates back to the 1830s. The home was purchased by Virginian and Confederate officer George Imboden in 1872. Imboden led the 18th Virginia Calvary and later became a prominent citizen of Ansted as well as its first mayor. Before serving as mayor, he had been elected to the West Virginia House of Delegates. His second wife named their home Contentment.
The home originally consisted of five rooms and a detached kitchen. Colonel Imboden began renovations on the home and added two rooms and extended the porch. The exterior of the home is common for the era and is described as a “cottage.” There were several of these cottage type homes found in Virginia and West Virginia spring resorts at the time. Contentment was originally made with a wooden frame with vertical clapboards in the front and horizontal clapboards on the sides and the back.
The Contentment House was one of two structures that did not burn to the ground during the Civil War. It was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places by the Fayette County Historical Society on October 30, 1974. Its nomination form states the Contentment House shows significance in the areas of 19th century architecture, military, industry, and politics. The Contentment House now serves Fayette County as a museum.