Whisky Creek Cabin
Whisky Creek Cabin is the oldest cabin remaining from the Gold Rush period in the Rogue River Canyon. Originally built around 1880 by an unknown miner, it is only accessible by water or trails. It is located west of the town of Wolf Creek and a half mile west of where Whiskey Creek meets the Rogue River. A primitive campground (Whiskey Creek Campground) is located near the mouth of Whiskey Creek. The cabin was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Backstory and Context
The first structure was a simple shelter with floor walls and a roof. A miner by the name of P.H. Rushmore filed the first gold claim in 1917. Successive owners built additions and other structures. In 1973 the Bureau of Land Management bought the deed to the cabin and opened it to visitors.