Jarman's Department Store (Historic Name)
03 East Main Street (NE corner East Main Street and North Water Street). Historic name: Jarman's Department Store Common name: Corner Market. Date of Construction: circa 1895 Style: Italianate. Significance: Primary
Description: Single story brick masonry building of locally manufactured brick, rectangular in plan. Approximate frontage on Main Street is 58 feet. Facade organized as two separate shop bays divided by continuous brick pilasters from foundation to parapet. Top of wall detailed with denticulated string course and corbeled cornice. Shop fronts remodeled.
Jarmen Department Store now PARC Resources
The original building in this location was a two story wooden structure housing the Culley's Grocery
The current building was built later in 1909, as Jarmons Department Store.
Backstory and Context
Originally, shop fronts were traditionally organized with central, recessed entrances between plate glass display windows with wood paneled bulkheads and multi-paned top lights. Rectangular glass panels over entrances were framed by square colored border lights. Later wood frame addition with a depth of two bays on Water Street. Exterior brick wall on Water Street unaltered. Openings in the Water Street facade have segmental arch heads. Door of side entrance appears to be original. East wall, having originally abutted another building, is blind.
The original building in this location was a two story wooden structure housing the Culley's Grocery. As he was preparing to close his business in 1909, he was robbed during which the store caught fire. The robbers took off, went to the Train Depot and hopped a hand cart, and were eventually caught in Washington state. Details about this robbery can be found in the Weston Public Library. The building was damaged, with the stock mostly smoke damaged. The stock was moved to the building on the other end of the block and a fire sale was held.
The current building was built later in 1909, as Jarmons Department Store. It has endured floods and a fire and still stands as regional headquarters of PARC Resources.
Bob Gilliland remembers this as a grocery store. But some tell the story of a flood when it was known is Pope's and all his shoes that he kept in the basement, went floating down Pine Creek. If you have such a story, please share it with us.
Information from the Historic Commercial District National Register for Historic Places nomination documentation. Additional research by Bob Gilliland of Weston, Oregon.