C. S. Brown Cultural Arts Center
The C. S. Brown Cultural Arts Center and Museum is located in a historic building that was home to one of the first high schools for African Americans in the state of North Carolina. The museum is named in honor of Calvin Scott Brown, a leading advocate of educational opportunities for African Americans throughout the state of North Carolina. Constructed in 1926, the building included an auditorium and kitchen in addition to classroom space. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
Today, the C. S. Brown Regional Cultural Arts Center and Museum is located in Brown Hall. Brown Hal was the last building constructed during Dr. Brown's tenure as principal. The museum was renovated and then opened in 1986. The museum is a non-profit organization.
One of the events hosted by the C. S. Brown Cultural Arts Center and Museum is the annual North Carolina Family Film Festival. Going strong for 5 years now, the North Carolina Family Film Festival brings film lovers and filmmakers together for a few days of meeting and exchanging ideas. The film festival also presents awards to the best films. In addition to the films, the festival brings fun activities for the whole family, such as: face painting, crafts, video workshops, free books, and more. All of the proceeds from this festival go to the restoration of Brown Hall.