Gold claims began to decrease in the 1860s and with the onset of stagecoach and freight rail in Redding, Shasta began to decline. Eventually all economic activity moved there and the county seat made the transition as well in 1888. The buildings in Shasta were abandoned and fell to ruin. In 1930s, local groups including the Shasta County Historical Society and local resident Mae Helen Boggs called for the preservation of Shasta. The town became the park in the 1930s and the Courthouse Museum opened in 1950. The museum's painting collection was donated by Boggs.