George Wright Young House
Backstory and Context
The George Wright Young House is an important historical landmark located in Oxford, Mississippi. The house is significant today because of its construction style and the way it was enlarged over time. The house was constructed with indigenous materials, and the structure was continually added to in order to make it better suited to the needs of those occupying it. According to the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form,
"The property was originally deeded through a grant in 1839 by President Martin Van Buren to Benjamin M. Mitchell."1
Mitchell then sold the home and property to Catherine M.
Foster in 1847, and and the next owner was Henry Slaughter, who purchased the home in 1894. In 1900, Edward Henry Harrison Woodard bought the property. Woodard's daughter Claudia was married to George Wright Young and they lived on the property, working the farm and raising three children.
Claudia's father passed away in 1905, and Claudia followed him soon after in 1908. Never remarrying, George remained at the home until 1942, when he had to leave the premises due to his poor health. George passed away in 1949.
George's children then rented the house until the early 1950s. Once they decided to stop renting the property, the house was closed. The house has remained unoccupied since about 1951. The structure is historically prized because it is
"a wonderful example of [an] early turn-of-the- century farm house."1
2. Photo: Cpboyd, via Wikimedia Commons - Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_Lafayette_County,_Mis...
3. Mitchell-Foster-Young House. Wikipedia. Accessed July 16, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_%E2%80%93_Foster_%E2%80%93_Young_House.