The museum is named for Cardinal Frank Spellman whose stamp collection inspired it all. Spellman’s interest in stamp collecting first began when he attended North American College in Rome. From 1932-1939, he was the Auxiliary Bishop of Boston and began to amass his collection. In 1948, Cardinal Spellman donated his collection to the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston and then features his collection at the National Philatelic Museum in Philadelphia. His collection was moved to the Spellman Room at the Regis College Library in 1955 where the Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Society was founded. The Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum was dedicated in 1963.