Fort Ninigret marks the location of, possibly, a small fort built by the Dutch East India Company sometime after 1633 and before 1637. Archaeological evidence indicates that Native Americans had occupied this spot for a long time before Europeans arrived. By 1620, the Niantic tribe lived in the area and exchanged goods with Dutch and English traders. A European sword and canon found in 1921-1922 gives further credence that the site indeed was a European fort. Today, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management and the Charlestown Historical Society jointly manage the fort.
Backstory and Context