Colonel James Clinton Blood House
Colonel James Blood (1819–1894) was a businessman and attorney and the first mayor of Lawrence. His home is one of the oldest in the city and historically significant due to his involvement in the Free State militias and Bleeding Kansas. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It is a private residence but can easily be viewed from the street.
Backstory and Context
Col. Blood made his home in Lawrence, living for a time in the house on Tennessee St., which was built about 1870. (Apparently the names of the architect and the builder were not recorded; Blood was listed in the 1876 Lawrence City Directory as a bricklayer, so he may have done some of the work himself.) The 1879 Lawrence City Directory shows Blood was still a resident there at that time, but in the 1880s the house was purchased by J. B. Shearer.
Colonel Blood, a businessman and lawyer, was elected the city's first mayor on July 13, 1857. He served as a delegate to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention in 1859 and was selected as a member of the board of trustees of "The Lawrence University" in 1859. The school's name was changed to "The Lawrence University of Kansas" in 1861, and Blood was a member of this board of trustees as well. The school eventually became the University of Kansas. Blood was Douglas county treasurer from 1864 to 1868 and was elected to the state legislature in 1869. He also served as a commander in the Free-State Cavalry during early Kansas territorial conflicts. Colonel Blood died in Lawrence on February 4, 1891.