Big Bottom State Memorial Park
The three-acre Big Bottom Park is the site of a skirmish between Ohio Company settlers and Delaware and Wyandot Indians that took place on January 2, 1791. This site was also named for the broad Muskingum flood plain. The Big Bottom Massacre marked the start of four years of bitter warfare in Ohio. The warfare in Ohio ended when the tribal coalition was defeated at the Battle of Fallen Timbers and when General Anthony Wayne and Indian tribes signed the Treaty of Greenville. Today, this site is known as Big Bottom Memorial State Park which possess a 12-foot marble obelisk. It is one of interesting attraction in Morgan County, Ohio
Backstory and Context
Westerners wanted protection from Indians, but funds were low and the Ohio Company refused. Although the settlers were well versed in Indian warfare they built an unprotected outpost. They did not complete the blockhouse, establish pickets around it or posted guards.
On January 2, 1791 a war party of approximately 25 Delaware and Wyandot Indians attacked the settlers at the Big Bottom outpost killing nine men, one woman and two children. This massacre spurred war between the American Government and the Indians around the Ohio territory until August 1794 when the Indian Tribes were defeated at the Battle of Fallen Timbers and the Treaty of Greenville was signed. Following the Big Bottom Massacre, the Ohio Company provided protection for Western settlers beginning in 1792.
Due to thunderstorms and vandalism, the historic site, Big Bottom State Memorial Park has had to be cleaned up. On October 17, 2010, this park was rededicated by the Ohio Historical Society. It is now used for picnics, outdoor activities and historic site tours.