The Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art celebrates the art of cutting, polishing, and carving stone, a practice that dates back to prehistoric times. Lapidary became a popular hobby in the United States during the 1950s in the form of cutting and polishing gemstones and turning them into jewelry or metalwork.
The museum has 26 new exhibits featuring over 200 pieces of jade, other hard stone carvings, snuff bottles, modern and antique vases and bowls, and other decorative and functional pieces, in addition to dioramas, stone mosaics, cameos, mineral specimens, and the famous Castle Lizzadro (an 18kt gold sculpture).
1916, he took a job at Meade Electric Company where he found his career and
eventually worked his way up to Chairman of the Board. Lizzadro
enjoyed trips to Keweenaw with his wife and their 6 children; they collected
stones at Lake Superior and Lizzadro began colleting stones and cutting and
polishing them to make jewelry for family.
From that time on, Lizzadro became a lapidary hobbyist and collector
with jade being his favorite stone. He
began his permanent collection with a Chinese jade carving he got in the late
1930s. Lizzadro’s collection grew and he
wanted to share it with others so in November 1962 he opened a museum in Wilder
Park. He continued to collect, cut, and
polish stone until his death in 1972.