Poweshiek County Courthouse
The county's second courthouse, the Greek Revival building was completed in 1859 and continues to serve as both the seat of government and the focal point of Montezuma's historic town square. That square includes the nation's first monument to the Bill of Rights and a veteran's memorial. When the building opened and throughout its first decade, the courthouse also served as a public school.
Poweshiek County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981
The courthouse lawn includes a monument in honor of the Bill of Rights-the first monument of its kind.