New Apostolic Church/Community Church of Stow/Silver Lake Aquarium
This building was first used as an amusement park and was stored in the backyard of the Lodge Home. The Silver Lake Aquarium was built in 1907 as part of the Silver Lake Amusement Park. The building contained a pool for sea lions, beavers, muskrats, and water fowl, along with local fish.
Backstory and Context
This building was first used as the aquarium at the old Silver Lake Amusement Park. The Silver Lake Aquarium was built to house and feature the fish of Silver Lake. The walls were made of "granite block," a cement block made of ground slag, sand, gravel, and cement. A fourteen-foot pool was built to house sea lions (for one season only since they required a lot of food), beavers, muskrats, and water fowl. There were also 12 fish tanks that contained water grasses, plants, and more than 20 varieties of fish found in Silver Lake. The aquarium was dismantled in 1918 after the park closed and was stored in the backyard of the Lodge home.
Mrs. Lodge then decided she did not want it in the backyard any longer and the materials were donated for the future home of the Stow Community Church. In the 1920, the bricks were hauled to a site on Elm Road and reassembled.
Lodge, William. William Lodge Writings.