Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library
The library was founded in 1924 and opened to the public in the following year. The first library building was not located here, but rather in the Stow Township Hall on the southwest corner of the Kent Road and Graham Road intersection. The 3512 Darrow Road location is the current library location!
Library circa 1930
Library circa 1978
Backstory and Context
The library was founded in 1924 and opened to the public in January 1925. The first library was located in Stow Township Hall on the southwest corner of the Kent Road and Graham Road intersection. The library remained in that building until it was moved in 1930 to a house across from the First Christian Church. The first librarian was Mrs. Williamson, daughter of Adell Durbin. The first book purchased for the library was Treasure Island. In May 1929, the library board voted to provide a two-week vacation for the librarian- the catch was that she had to provide her own replacement and pay the person herself! The library was in the house for 33 years.