A three-story addition was built in 1923 and the building served as the City Hall until 1949 and as a library until 1963. It became the home of the Oxnard Art Club, the Convention and Visitor Bureau, and the Chamber of Commerce. Restorations got underway in 1977 and the building reopened in 1980 as the Cultural Arts Center, which housed the Art Club of Oxnard and the Oxnard Historical Society Museum. The audiovisual portion of the Oxnard Public Library was also housed there. In 1987, the city designated the building as the Carnegie Art Museum.