The DAR had been planning the construction of the monument since 1910, according to research published by Frank Boyett in the Henderson Gleaner. Governor Augustus Stanley was the keynote speaker at the dedication ceremony and the occasion was his first visit back to Henderson since taking office at the first of that year. This monument is not erected to the dead, Stanley proclaimed, but to the living. The memories of these noble men whose names are inscribed here will live on after this tablet of bronze and marble has crumbled to dust, the governor concluded. Louise Palmer Cheaney, the great-great-great granddaughter of General Hopkins, concluded the ceremony by unveiling the monument.