Built in 1876, the Quadrangle is the oldest building a part of Fort Sam Houston, the headquarters for the 5th United States Army. The building was created to serve as a supply depot, but the piece of history it is most known for is that in 1886, it imprisoned Geronimo, the war chief of the Apache tribe. In the center of the Quadrangle, there is a 19th century clock tower. The Quadrangle is open to the public and draws many visitors who enjoy its serene atmosphere and the resident animals such as deer, peacocks, guinea fowl, ducks and geese. The fort itself is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.
Today, the Quadrangle is the headquarters for the U.S. Army
North, but originally, it was built for storing housing supplies and then
later serving as the arsenal. It is the oldest structure a part of Fort Sam
After his surrender in Arizona, the Quadrangle contained
Geronimo, the Apache chief, and 31 of his men for six weeks. According to
legend, the deer that now frequent the area were said to have been brought
there in order to make Geronimo feel more at home. Another
variation is that the deer were brought there for them to hunt for
meat because they refused to eat the food the Army provided to them. Of
course, this is only speculation, and it remains a mystery why the deer as well as
various other animals have made the Quadrangle their home.
According to the National Park Service, In 1898 the fort
served as a rendezvous for Col. Leonard Wood and Lt. Col. Theodore Roosevelt's
'Rough Riders,' before their departure for Cuba during the Spanish American
War. The fort also supplied the men and materials for Brig. Gen. John J. 'Black
Jack' Pershing's campaign against Pancho Villa in 1916.
And According to the
website for Fort Sam Houston, The post is the birthplace of military
aviation and saw the development of the concept of airborne operations. The
post evolved into the 'Home of Army Medicine' after World War II and into the
'Home of Military Medicine' with the establishment of the Medical Education and
Training Campus in 2010.