Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam
"The Gallipolis Locks and Dam was built on the Ohio River near Gallipolis Ferry, W.Va., as part of a series of locks and dams to allow navigation year-round. It began operation in August 25, 1937, and final construction was completed in October 1937.Fifty years later, construction began on a project to build bigger lock chambers, capable of locking through modern-sized tows and barges. Work began in November 1987 and was completed January 1993. The project consists of a main lock chamber 110-feet wide by 1,200-feet long with an auxiliary lock chamber 110-feet wide by 600-feet long. In January 1993 the lock and dam was renamed after West Virginia Senator Robert C. Byrd".