The prominence of this residence is emboldened by the succession of important San Francisco families that have lived here. Originally built in 1889 by Charles A. Belden, the treasurer of W.W. Montague & Company, for him an his family to live in. The Belden family left the house in 1900, and an unknown family moved in until 1907. During this tenure, in 1906, the great quake struck San Francisco, although Belden house was able to withstand the quake and subsequent fires. The house was purchased by National Ice and Cold Storage Company vice-president John A. Buck in 1907. Buck also purchased the neighbouring property and used it for parking and storage. By 1923 Buck had died, and his widow lived in the house for another 10 years. After this the property stayed in the Buck family but became a home for old ladies. In 1961 the house was passed to the Hudec Trust until it was purchased by John F. Stevenson and his family in 1967. By 1982 the residence had swapped hands again, and owners Louis R. Peters and John A. Newmeyer began restoring the exterior and interior of the residence.
The C. A. Belden House at 2004 Gough is a typical Queen Anne style residence, offering a mix of textures, forms, and materials that were popular in the late 19th Century. The three story building boasts a steep gable roof, as well as two accompanying turrets with conical roofs, beneath which sits a beautifully carved surface. Looking out from the third floor are a pair of matching windows and hand carved sunburst designs. The second floor and surrounding turrets are covered in fish scale shingles, with the rest of the building displaying horizontal wooden siding. The south-facing entrance lies beneath a one-story porch topped with a turned wooden balustrade.
The property has been repaired and remodelled over the years that it has changed hands, so the exterior has been slightly modified with respect to the original. That being said, both the exterior and the interior of the building retain their original architectural integrity, showing off the style of the day. The house opens into a central entrance hall with doorways to the principal rooms of the building as opposed to the more typical longer hallway, distinguishing this house as an example of the more grand Queen Anne style. The rooms are lined with darkly stained oak panelling, and decorative painted ceilings. The centrepiece is a fireplace surrounded by Numidian marble and adorned with wooden carvings and spindles.