The roots of what eventually evolved into Simpson Memorial United Methodist Church were organized prior to the end of the Civil War in 1865. Early services of Simpson were held in the basement of Asbury Methodist, and were led by a white minister. The Washington Conference of the Methodist Church sent the congregation its first African American minister, Reverend C.O. Fischer in 1866. In 1888, the congregation named themselves Simpson Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church to honor Bishop Matthew Simpson. The church moved a number of times before they established a permanent residence in this location in 1914, and changed the name to Simpson Memorial United Methodist Church in 1939. The church caught fire in 1988, but has since been repaired and restored, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
The Simpson Memorial
United Methodist Church is a symbol of African American culture in “The Block”
historic district of Charleston, West Virginia. The church was one of many
significant landmarks in the area, and is only one of five buildings remaining
that represent the era of development in this once African American community.
Simpson ‘s congregation was established and survived the era of segregation in
the Methodist church. When Methodism reorganized and combined the churches of
the Methodist Episcopal, the Methodist Episcopal South, and the Methodist
Protestant Church in 1939, Simpson remained and dropped Episcopal from their
name. The first past of Simpson under the new union of the Methodist church was
Herbert A. Green. During the era of desegregation, Simpson was moved from the
Washington Conference and welcomed into the West Virginia Conference. The
Simpson congregation added United Methodist to their name in 1969 after the
union of the West Virginia Conference, the former Methodist and Evangelical
United Brethren Churches, and a section of the Evangelical United Brethren
Virginia Conference. Simpson was the only African American United Methodist
Church in Charleston, WV, and followed the tradition of European liturgy.
The earliest records
of the Simpson congregation are from the Civil War era, in 1865. Services were
held in the basement of a white church, Asbury Methodist Church, under a white
minister. The Asbury church was located between Summers and Laidley Streets.
Simpson was formed under the African American Washington Conference of the
Methodist church, which was established in 1864. The Washington Conference sent
Reverend C. O. Fisher to be Simpson’s first minister in 1866, and he preached
in the basement of the Asbury Church until he left the congregation in 1869.
Also in 1869, Simpson moved to a building on Quarrier Street, and had a large
enough congregation to establish a church of their own in 1870 along Quarrier
and Dickinson Streets. In 1887, the a frame structured church caught fire and
was destroyed. What was left of the church was razed, and a new church was
built in the same spot in 1888 and was said to be the most outstanding black
church in the Washington Conference. Also in 1888, Simpson was officially named
Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church to honor Bishop Simpson.
In 1914, Simpson sold
the church they had established along Quarrier and Dickinson Streets, and used
that money to purchase a lot on Shrewsbury Street. A church with Gothic styled
architecture was built on the lot, and is still serving the Charleston
community today. The Simpson congregation once again suffered a fire in 1988
which destroyed the stained glass window that was displayed on the front of the
church. The smoke and water damage caused to the sanctuary was repaired and
restored, and the stained glass window was recreated. Simpson was the only
African American Church in “The Block” Historic District until the 1950s, and
has developed along with the neighborhood. Simpson United Methodist Church was
placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 because of its
significance to the historic neighborhood and its representation of a preserved
African American culture in Appalachia.