Nichols House Museum
Backstory and Context
The museum resides within the 4-story townhouse that Rose Nichols inherited from her father, Dr. Arthur Nichols. The historic house was built by Jonathan Mason in 1804 and became a public museum in 1961. The home is furnished with 18th and 19th century European and American furniture, ancestral portraits, American and European art, and Flemish tapestries. Highlights of the museum include exhibits about the life of Rose Standish Nichols, her father Dr. Arthur Nichols, and other prominent residents of this important Boston neighborhood. Visitors should also take time to enjoy works by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, America's foremost sculptor of the 19th century. Many of the sculptures to leading generals were made by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, including the popular local sculpture of Robert Gould Shaw that graces Boston Common.