Cheyenne Depot Museum (Union Pacific Railroad Depot)
The Cheyenne Depot Museum, formerly the Union Pacific Railroad Depot, is dedicated towards preserving the city's railroad history and the history Transcontinental Railroad. The building, designed by Henry Van Brunt in the Romanesque style, was constructed between 1886 and 1887 by the Union Pacific Railroad Company. It is the last of the grand 19th century depots built along the Transcontinental Railroad still standing (the others have been destroyed by fire or demolished). The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006.
Backstory and Context