Woman's Club of Tallahassee
The Woman’s Club of Tallahassee was formed in 1903 as a result of a meeting of six local Tallahassee women hoping to improve the quality of life in Tallahassee. According to the organization’s website, the Women’s Club of Tallahassee “…is part of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, and international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.” The organization contributes to numerous charities and also hosts’ weddings, fundraisers, parties and other events. The Women’s Club of Tallahassee was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
Backstory and Context
Early projects of the club consisted of internal improvement to the city of Tallahassee. The club became an affiliate of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1905. The clubhouse for the organization, named Los Robles, was constructed in 1927 and has since been the permanent home of the Women’s Club of Tallahassee.
The ladies of the club organized Tallahassee’s first kindergarten and were highly influential in the construction of the first Leon High School building, where students began class in 1910. Throughout the years the club has also been very active throughout Tallahassee by participating in city beautification and historic preservation.
"History of the GFWC Woman's Club of Tallahassee." Woman's Club of Tallahassee. Accessed May 10, 2015. http://www.gfwcwomanscluboftallahassee.org/history.