Bird Haven was built in 1895 for Israel N. Johnson, who owned and operated a tailor shop at 308 Virginia St. in Charleston, WV. He also served as state ornithologist for many years, his property was well known for its bird population an he was locally known as 'The Bird Man'. The home is one of the oldest frame built houses in the area and exhibits late Victorian features such as a 3-sided front bay window and a front and back parlor area. It is a bungalow style home with painted clapboard and multiple gables.
Backstory and Context