Clio Logo

The Elk Hotel was opened in April 1894 to accommodate the population boom that Sutton experienced due to its proximity to the coal and timber trade in West Virginia. It has since had several additions made to it, and at one time housed a bank, general store, billiard hall, and restaurant.


  • The Original

Photo Credit: Mike Gioulis
  • Modern

Photo Credit: Kevin L. Carpenter

Elk Hotel is three stories tall, and features pressed tin ceilings, a basement and two cellars. Now called the "Elk Hostel", it accommodates up to 20 guests, and provides visitors with insight into late 19th century life, leisure, and architecture. The Elk is on the National Register of Historic Places, and hosts several festivals a year, including the Elk River Music and Arts Festival and the West Virginia Filmmakers Festival.

As dictated by proprietor.