C&O Locomotive 2755
This historic locomotive hauled millions of tons of coal from the mines around Logan and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located in the heart of Chief Logan State Park. The Chesapeake and Ohio Locomotive 2755 is one of only two remaining of its class. It was placed in its present location in 1961 by history and railroad enthusiasts. The locomotive and the area around the static exhibit are maintained by members of the Island Creek Model Railroad Club.
Backstory and Context
The engines were used to transport coal, iron, and steel from the northern part of the state all the way to the southern coalfields, the Kanawha Valley, and everywhere in between. Originally given the name "Berkshires," the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad company changed the name of their engines to the "Kanawhas." This name was given because of their mainline service to the Kanawha River Valley which paralleled C&O's main rail line.1
Engine 2755 was built in 1947, and is one of two preserved Kanawhas remaining today. 2755 was "laid to rest" as an operating locomotive in March of 1961 and is open to the public today in the Chief Logan State Park. It is located beside the Coal History Museum in the park.