After the American Civil War, the town of Hurricane started becoming more inhabited and lively due to the C&O Railway passing through town. The, then owner of the home, Bill Mac McCallister, built two general stores near the house, and began to use the house as a boarding house for railway workers in 1908. However, in 1924, McCallister decided to tear the house down but ultimately let his son, Cline and daughter-in-law live in the house instead. He turned the deed over to his son and his wife, and they both lived in the home until 1929, when they sold the home to Doctor Homer A. Erwin, the town's dentist. Erwin would live in the home until 1969.
In 1969, the house was bought by the Forrest Burdette United Methodist Church and renamed the Asbury House. The original idea of owning the house was to use it as a parsonage, due to the house being right beside the church, but the church wished to expand the sanctuary and add more parking on the house's land. The house was then bought by Renee Wiles, who moved the house one block away from its original location to the present day location. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Homes in 1997.