North Carolina Executive Mansion
The Executive Mansion is a designated Raleigh Historic Landmark.
Backstory and Context
The original gubernatorial residence was a brick house on Fayetteville Street built in 1814. During the Civil War, the structure was abandoned due to previous years of neglect and damage. For the next few decades, North Carolina’s governors stayed in their own homes or in hotels in Raleigh. In the 1870s, Governor Zebulon B. Vance began planning a new executive mansion. Architect Samuel Sloan and his assistant Adolphus Bauer drew up the plans for the house, which was to be built in Burke Square. Colonel W. G. Hicks, the superintendent of the state prison, oversaw the convicts who built the house. Governor Daniel G. Fowle was the first governor to enjoy the home after he moved in on January 5, 1891.
Just two years later, Governor Elias Carr began making improvements on the house such as reworking the landscaping and installing telephones and gas lamps. In 1910, Governor Kitchin purchased fine furniture, silver, and china for the mansion. Despite additional updates in 1917, the executive mansion was in a sorry state in 1925. Governor Angus McLean then ordered repairs to the floors, walls, kitchen, and bathrooms as well as a complete redecoration inside. Since then, governors have added an elevator, air conditioning, and a bomb shelter to keep the mansion up with the times.
Roberts, Liza. North Carolina’s Executive Mansion. Walter Magazine. Accessed March 07, 2019. http://www.waltermagazine.com/home/north-carolinas-executive-mansion/.