The Thornburg House is a Queen Anne style historic home located in Barboursville in Cabell County, West Virginia.
The Thornburg House was built by George E. Thornburg in 1901.
George E. Thornburg was the grandson of Solomon Thornburg, who served as
sheriff of Cabell County in 1842 and also in the General Assembly of the State,
and the son of Thomas Thornburg who served in the Virginia General Assembly.1
George E. Thornburg took control of the family’s Miller Thornburg
Store and made it successful. George E. Thornburg also helped to create the
First State Bank in Barboursville and founded the Barboursville Clay
Manufacturing Company in 1904.1
In 1887, the old Cabell County Courthouse in Barboursville became Barboursville
Seminary and eventually the Morris Harvey College. The Thornburg House was adjacent to the college and turned into apartments
for the school. After the school moved to Charleston, the Thornburg House continued to be used as apartments. The Thornburg House was restored in 1989 for use as First
State Bank offices.1 It is currently used as offices for ZBA