Clio Logo

Grosscup Road Historic District consists of 22 historic houses built between the late 1800s and early 1900s located in the South Hills area of Charleston, West Virginia.


  • Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
  • Stucco House, 2 Grosscup Road

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Teetor
  • Woodrow/Kilcollin House, 3 Grosscup Road

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Teetor
  • Ranch House, 12 Grosscup Road

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Teetor

Grosscup Road Historic District consists of properties on three roads: Grosscup, Roller, and Roscommon. Ten of the houses were designed by architect H. Rus Warne, who designed many other buildings in West Virginia such as the Kenwood home in Huntington, Boone County Courthouse, and Nicholas County High School. Other architects that worked on the Grosscup Road Historic District include Robert E. Lee Taylor and Ludwig Theodore Bengston, who designed the Robert S. Spilman House and the Harvey Hall House, respectively. The Grosscup Historic District was created with the intention of being a residential area for prominent people involved in business and politics in Charleston1.

Houses of the Grosscup Road Historic District are as follows:

1. Kelly/Wehrle House. The home is located at 15 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1919. The house was designed by H. Rus Warne. Its architectural style is Colonial Revival1.

2. Warne-Depaulo-Ross House. The home is located at 8 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1910. This home was designed by H. Rus Warne for his family. The home is also referred to as “Bon Aire” and is a stucco house1.

3. Hall-Thayer House. The home is located at 6 Grosscup Road and was built in 1932. This home was designed by Ludwig Theodore Bengston and its architectural style is English Tudor1.

4. Ranch House. The home is located at 12 Grosscup Road and was built in 19801.

5. Weakland/Lawson House. This stucco home is located at 10 Grosscup Road and was built in 19201.

6. Scott/Faber House. This home is located at Grosscup and Bridge Road and was built in 1902. It was once used as a carriage house for the Scott/Southworth House1.

7. Scott/Southworth House. The home is located at Grosscup and Bridge Road and was built in 1902. It is a Late Victorian cottage1.

8. Alvin, Sam McCorkle House. The home is located at Grosscup and Bridge Road and was built in 18951.

9. Jayne/Pausch House. This H. Rus Warne designed home is located at 811 Bridge Road and was built circa 19101.

10. Stolle/Surber House is located at 804 Bridge Road and was built circa 1893. It is a Late Victorian cottage1.

11. Dodson/Paterno House is located at 1 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1914. The home was designed by H. Rus Warne and is a Dutch Colonial Revival house1.

12. Stucco House is located at 2 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1916. It is a Dutch Colonial Revival home1.

13. Woodrow/Kilcollin House is located at 3 Grosscup Road and was built circa 19161.

14. Munse/Lewis House is located at 4 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1916. The Woodrow/Kilcollin and Munse/Lewis houses are almost exactly the same1.

15. McClanaham/Goldman House is located at 5 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1916. The first residence of the home was Preston M. McClanaham, a coal operator1.

16. Grosscup, F.P./Bailey House is located at 7 Grosscup Road and was built circa 1918. This home is a Colonial Revival style1.

17. Robertson-Smith House is located at 1 Roller Road and was built circa 1915. The home is an American Four Square style and was first owned by William S. Robertson, a physician in Charleston1.

18. Roller/Blunden House is located at 3 Roller Road and was built circa 1915. This home is an American Four Square style1.

19. Robertson/Davis House is located at 2 Roller Road and was built circa 1925. The house was designed by H. Rus Warne. Dr. Robertson (of the Robertson-Smith House) move from that home into this house circa 19251.

20. Grosscup, P.B./Tierny House is located at 6 Roller Road and was built circa 1925. The home was designed by H. Rus Warne1.

21. Gordon C. Morton Home is located at 100 Roscommon Road and was built circa 1937. The home is a Dutch Colonial Revival house1.

22. Spilman-Thomasson-Morgan House is located at 108 Roscommon Road and was built circa 1922. The home was designed by Robert E. Lee Taylor and is a Dutch Colonial Revival1.

 

The homes are visible from the street. Be careful not to trespass on any of the properties as they are private residences.

1. http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/kanawha/84003607.pdf