T. A. Leonard Barn
The T. A. Leonard Barn is a historic 12-sided (dodecagon) barn located 3.5 miles southeast of Pullman, Washington. It was built in 1917 by farmer Thomas Andrew Leonard. It has remained relatively unchanged and in good condition. It appears that it is still owned by the Leonard family and not open to the public. It is, however, definitely a local landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1986). The structure is one of two "round barns" remaining in Whitman County and one of ten in the state.
Backstory and Context
T. A. Leonard was well aware of these trends and built his barn in order to feed and clean his livestock more efficiently and he also preferred more natural lighting. The round barn was a replacement for an earlier barn which burned down.
In 2000-2001, the barn was fully restored by Bill Leonard, grandson of T. A. Leonard. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places but is privately owned.