Jasper County Courthouse, East Third and South Main Street
Constructed in 1894-95, the Jasper County Courthouse is located in Carthage, Missouri in the town's center square. It was designed by M.A. Orlopp in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It is the third courthouse of the county. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Its first floor lobby area houses historical displays, murals painted by local artists, and a Route 66 exhibit modeled after Boots Drive-In (see Clio entry for same on South Garrison Avenue).
Backstory and Context
The building is constructed of local limestone. At the time of the courthouse's construction, there were many quarries surrounding Carthage. Carthage Stone Company, owned by Curtis Wright and William Logan (1), supplied the stone for this structure. (See Clio entries for Wright House, 304 West Macon, and Logan Building, 301 East Fourth),
"History." http://www.jaspercounty.org/history.html. Retrieved 4-23-15.