Hanging Rock State Park
Backstory and Context
The Sauratown range was named after the Saura Indians who lived in the region. The mountains were originally much higher but millions of years of erosion lowered them to their present height.
Much of the park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1935 and 1942. They built roads, a parking area, and various facilities, including the bathhouse, diving tower, and beach for the newly-created lake after a dam was built during. The bathhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. The size of the park was increased in 2000 from just over 3,000 acres to nearly 6,000 acres.